I will bet you didn’t know this about chocolate!
10 fun facts about the world’s favorite treat.
- Chocolate comes from a fruit tree; it’s made from a seed.
- It takes 400 cocoa beans to make one pound of chocolate.
- Each cacao tree produces approximately 2,500 beans.
- Cacao beans were so valuable to early Mesoamericans that they were used as currency.
- “Cacao” is how you say “cocoa” in Spanish.
- A farmer must wait four to five years for a cacao tree to produce its first beans.
- Spanish royalty gave cakes of cacao in their dowries.
- Theobroma Cacaois the tree that produces cocoa beans, and it means “food of the gods.” Carolus Linnaeus, the father of plant taxonomy, named it.
- Chocolate has over 600 flavor compounds while red wine has just 200.
- Chocolate milk is an effective post work-out recovery drink